Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Use cell phones safely, correctly

By Katrina Jameson

Ah, cell phones! Whatever did we do before their annoying existence? I have a cell phone and I use it maybe three times a year. It was purchased for emergencies and to be used when a necessary call needs to be made and there is no other phone available.

When I do use my cell phone, it is in a place where the rest of the world does not have to be disturbed with my conversation, nor run the risk of being broad-sided by me in the car because I am too busy talking and not concentrating on my driving.

People should hang up and driive! I realize that these phones make life easier, that many people conduct a large portion of their business over them and that they do serve an important purpose.

I am by no means suggesting that we do away with cell phones. What I am saying is, use some sense and common courtesy where cell phones are concerned.

I went to hear the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra play a few months ago, and right in the middle of a beautiful piece of music, I hear the theme song from Sanford and Son - somebody's ringtone.

In the middle of a sermon, I heard this annoying, persistant humming; it was someone's cell phone vibrating.

I ask, please: If you can't live without your cell phone long enough to attend a church service or drive to work safely, then the two of you should just stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment