Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Time For A New Cell Phone

Posted by Brian Hoover

blog.pennlive.com/blog.pennlive.com/

I recently got a new cell phone. What phone would a "techie" such as myself decide upon and how would I ultimately make my decision? Read on to find out...

I use Verizon Wireless as my cell provider. Because of this, and due to the fact that I've been a customer for a number of years now, I qualify for their "New Every Two Program". Basically, with this program, every two years you receive $100 credit towards a new phone and you can use this credit sixty days before your contract expires.
On the Verizon Wireless website, they have a "New Every Two Meter" which shows you how much longer you need to wait before you can take advantage of this credit. Since I had been having issues with my cell phone, I was counting down the days until I was eligible to use my $100 credit. Well, my New Every Two Meter was up on February 21st. That night and the following morning, I checked out the options on Verizon Wireless's website and I picked out two phones that I was interested in. These two phones were the
LG VX8600 (a clamshell version of the "Chocolate" phone) and the Pantech PN-820 (a clamshell Smartphone which runs Windows Mobile).
Noticably absent from my list is a Motorola RAZR. I just think that everyone has a RAZR these days and it's just not as cool as they were when they first came out. I'm also sure that since my boss and another teammate have RAZRs now, that helped reduce the attractiveness of those phones.
So on the 22nd (the first day I was eligible for my $100 credit), I stopped by the Verizon Wireless kiosk in the mall to check out the phones. While there, the one sales guy who was assisting me showed me a new phone that they had just gotten in - the
Samsung SCH-u740. This phone is pretty unique. It opens two different ways. One way is like a normal cell phone, but it also opens up like a Sidekick. Thanks to this sales guy, the number of phones I was considering increased to three.
That evening, I went online and did some research on each of the phones. All of them received good ratings and reviews, so I really didn't make much progress in my attempt to select one of them. I did, however, eliminate one of the phones - the Pantech PN-820. While the phone seemed pretty cool and I liked the idea of having a phone which runs Windows Mobile, there were two things I didn't like about it. One, the phone has an antenna! The antenna is a remnant of the older analog type of phones. Digital-only phones do not require these antiquated eye-sores. Second, in order to use some of the features such as being able to browse the Internet and synching the device, you must have a data plan in addition to your voice plan and this will cost an additional $29.99 or more per month (if not more).
With my choices narrowed down to two phones once again, I decided to take my daughter with me to help pick out my new phone.
That Friday afternoon, my daughter came to visit and we went to the mall. When we arrived at the Verizon Wireless kiosk, I showed my daughter the LG phone first and then the Samsung phone. As soon as she saw the way that the Samsung phone opened, she blurted out "DUDE!!! GET THAT ONE!!"
I have to admit, I'm not really into texting on my cell phone. I get text messages for work to notify me when people have an issue with their computers, but I rarely send any messages. The Samsung phone is designed to make texting convenient by having a "QWERTY" keyboard so you don't need to tap out your text messages the usual way where you press the "2" key once for "a", twice for "b", etc. The keys on the phone's"QWERTY" keyboard are obviously rather small.
Still... I thought the phone was really unique, so I took my daughter's suggestion and I went with the Samsung phone.
I've had the phone for a week and a half now and I am happy to report that I really like it.
The Samsung SCH-u740 opened as a regular phone.
One feature that has taken the most getting used to is the keys. I mentioned there are a lot of them due to the full "QWERTY" keyboard. When you open the phone as a regular phone, the standard "1" through "0" keys are gray so they stand out.
The Samsung SCH-u740 in "rotated mode".
When you rotate the phone and open it up like a Sidekick, typing messages is actually quite easy using the keyboard. (You just need to watch and make sure that the NUM LOCK isn't on.) Also, some features such as browsing the Internet and playing MP3s are only available in rotated mode.
Speaking of playing MP3s, the phone has two built-in speakers beside the display so you can listen to your favorite songs without the need for headphones. Also, although you need to be in rotated mode to begin playing MP3s, you can then close the phone and use touch controls beneath the external display to control playback.
The phone is very similar in size to the RAZR V3. For example, the RAZR V3 is 3.86"H x 2.08"W x 0.57"D and weighs 3.49 ounces while the SCH-u740 is 3.84"H x 2.04"W x 0.58"D and weighs 3.6 ounces. Their features are similar too, although the Samsung has some additional features such as the music player. Of course, the Samsung phone is a bit more expensive than the RAZR, but that is mainly due to the phone being newer.
The battery life of the Samsung is pretty good. The last time I charged it was on Friday afternoon and I had approximately 1/2 of a charge left this evening when I checked it. I drained the battery the day after I got the phone, however. I was playing with it basically non-stop that day as I was figuring out the features and changing the settings. I also downloaded some ringtones and I loaded up my Micro-SD card with some MP3s so I could test out the playback function.
One feature that I haven't had the opportunity to check out yet is Wireless E-Mail Synchronization. I went into the option for this on the phone today and I saw that Verizon Wireless charges $19.99 a month for this feature. I'm seriously considering this. I would like to be able to get my work and personal e-mails on my phone, so when I'm travelling I don't need to worry about missing an important message. (I don't qualify for a Blackberry at work.) I just think that's a little expensive since they offer data plans for only $10.00 more than that per month if I remember correctly.
So, this is a pretty cool phone. I've had Motorola phones for the past few years and this one is much nicer than Motorola's current offerings (in my opinion).
Now don't you all go running out and buying the same phone for yourself or your kids. I like having a cool, unique phone. I don't want to have the same phone as everybody else! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment